Sunday, June 4, 2017

Google Music Manager - "Could not identify your computer"

Here's a note in case I forget what the actual reason for this message was or how it was resolved.

After not using Google Music Manager for a while, I tried to log in to upload a couple of recordings to share. Unfortunately, I could not log in on the PC. It was giving me the "Could not identify your computer" error message after going through the 2-step authentication.

Reading online pointed out that, for whatever reason, Music Manager clings to a device's MAC address. This was a good pointer.

Checking the network device properties / configure / advanced, there was only one property available - Network Address. Fortunately, this is exactly the one I needed. It was set to Not Present, as it normally should. As I was connecting using USB tethering, I guess this value was never really set.

So I set the value manually to 1F-2E-3D-4C-5B-6A. This is a simple value that follows the specs. And, voila! It worked.

In the meantime, I also tried switching to a Wi-Fi connection but that did not work somehow. In the properties, there was no property for Network Address so I could not see what it was nor modify it.

Update 2017-11-25: Music Manager was unable to connect out of the blue. The settings were all the same. This time I had to connect to a Wi-Fi access point, reinstall Music Manager and it connected fine. Then I switched to USB tethered connection again and it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment